Free Poster Promotes Veterinary Role in World Spay Day
You're Saving Lives!
January 9, 2013
Veterinary professionals are essential to the success of World Spay Day events.Diane Lewis
Veterinary professionals who are participating in the upcoming World Spay Day 2013 during the month of February – or who are helping save animal lives with spay and neuter services any time throughout the year – are encouraged to download free posters on the HSVMA website to promote your contribution.
With the message, “I’m Saving Lives,” the posters recognize the veterinary community’s unique role in addressing the animal overpopulation crisis. The posters can be customized with information about World Spay Day and other spay and neuter events in each community.
World Spay Day is an annual campaign of The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International. Going strong since 1995, the event aims to encourage people to save animal lives by spaying or neutering companion animals and feral cats. World Spay Day is officially the fourth Tuesday of every February; however, events take place throughout the month, which is recognized as Spay/Neuter Awareness Month. During February 2012, an estimated 54,500 animals were sterilized at World Spay Day events held in the United States and abroad.
HSVMA is a proud partner of World Spay Day and promotes the critical role of veterinary professionals in educating the public about the importance of spay and neuter, and in providing accessible spay and neuter services to address animal overpopulation. In 2012, HSVMA sponsored two World Spay Day events – in Wisconsin and in North Carolina – at which veterinary students and veterinary technician students participated and received hands-on training and awareness of spay/neuter issues. Approximately 600 animals received services at these events.
There are many ways veterinary professionals can get involved in World Spay Day, including:
|Behind the Scenes at
a Spay Day Clinic
View the recording of an hour-long webinar, hosted by HSVMA and PetSmart Charities, addressing some of the most common questions and issues faced by veterinary professionals during World Spay Day clinics.
To read the article mentioned in session that explains the efficacy of spay/neuter in reducing euthanasia rates, click here»
- Discuss the importance of spay/neuter with clients whose pets are still intact and promote the benefits of early-age sterilization. Order postcards to help convey this message»
- Offer special discounts on spay/neuter surgeries on World Spay Day (February 26) or during part or all of Spay/Neuter Awareness Month (February).
- Form or join a coalition of local colleagues and hold a city, county, or statewide World Spay Day event.
- Make the following helpful videos available to your clients:
- Find a Spay Day event near you (US | International) and ask to join the event team.
- Contact your local animal shelter and volunteer to spay or neuter a certain number of adoptable animals at no charge. Ask the shelter to provide the animals' adopters with your business card for follow-up healthcare visits.
- Visit the World Spay Day website for more ideas about how to organize an event or to get involved with an event in your area.
Veterinary professionals and veterinary students who participate in a World Spay Day 2013 event are eligible for a complimentary one-year membership in the HSVMA. Sign up for membership by March 1, and you can also receive an HSVMA World Spay Day scrub top. To take advantage of this offer, visit hsvma.org/join and enter discount code WSD13 in the discount code field on the payment page. You’ll receive a confirmation e-mail after signing up; just forward that to email@example.com along with your World Spay Day 2013 event ID number, scrub top size, and mailing address to claim your scrub top. Sizes and quantities are limited, so sign up today!
Many thanks in advance to our HSVMA members, colleagues, and friends for your interest in, support of, and participation in World Spay Day 2013.